Cruiser Indianapolis (CA-35) Division History
Our division was honored to be headquartered with the Navy Reserves at the Navy Operational Support Center Indianapolis in the historic Heslar Naval Armory from 1971 to 2014. The Armory was completed in 1938 and is a prime historical example of the Works Progress Administration building projects coming out of the great depression. Navy sailors drilled and trained there for 70 plus years. An excellent history of the building is available at the following link: https://sites.google.com/site/heslarnavalarmory/ The Navy and Marines are moving out of Heslar effective SEP 2014 and into a new reserve center built at Fort Harrison in Lawrence on the northeast side of Indianapolis. The State of Indiana is closing Heslar. What happens to the building remains to be seen but it is the hope of many that the rich Naval history will be preserved along with the building in some sort of re-use.
The Cruiser division is moving into new office space across the street from the new reserve center at the Fort Harrison Veterans Center.
We are named after the USS Indianapolis, a storied Cruiser from World War 2. The USS Indianapolis was sunk in the Pacific Ocean after delivering the parts of the Atomic bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima, Japan. She was struck by an enemy torpedoes and sank within 12 minutes. Only 317 sailors out of the crew of 1,196 survived the sinking and harrowing 4 days in the shark-infested waters.
The Cruiser Division was commissioned in April, 1971. Hundreds of cadets have gone through the division over the past 40 years and gone on to productive lives, both civilian and military.
LTJG Kinkead has served as Commanding Officer since 01OCT16.
WO Larry Snair served from xxx to SEP16
LTJG Brad Sauter preceded by
LT David Witte who served as CO from 2009-2012
LCDR Eddie DeWitt before that.